A triple double is an achievement that many basketball players long for. Several of the top NBA players, all-star athletes, and basketball players around the world have got high rankings for this particular achievement. But what is a triple double and how to score it?
What is Double Double?
Many of us have heard this term in basketball games. The double double refers to a single-game performance of a player where he or she scores more than 10 in at least two of the following categories: points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocked shots. A double double happens when a player achieves 10 plus in any of the two above-mentioned categories.
What is Triple Double?
A triple-double is the next level of achievement where a player scores ten plus points in at least three of the categories including steals, assists, points, rebounds, and block shots. For example, if a player scores 12 points, makes 15 rebounds, and assists 12 shots, then he achieves a triple double. Triple as in three categories, and double as in points.
There is also quadruple and quintuple doubles, however, these are pretty rare.
How to Get a Triple Double?
A player can achieve a triple double in any combination, but some categorical combinations can occur more easily. The most common triple double that occurs comes in a combination of points, rebounds, and assists. As for steals and blocks, they too occur but are rare.
Some of the notable players that have got this acheivement number of times
- Andy Phillip: The first to score a triple double in the history of NBA in 1950.
- Russell Westbrook: Highest number of career triple doubles during a regular season.
- Magic Johnson: Highest number of triple doubles during post season with 30
- James Harden: Most points scored in a triple double with 60.
- LeBron James: 99 triple doubles to his name in a regular season
- Luka Doncic:Triple double record for fewest minutes: 25minutes and 30 seconds
- Larry Kenon: Kenon and Kendall Gill have a mutual record for highest number of steals in a triple double.
- Wilt Chamberlain: all time highest career double double with 968.
- Dwayne Wade: Achieved a triple double in his final career game.
- Nikola Jokic: Fastest triple double: 14 minutes 33 seconds.