Joshua Primo, a guard selected by the San Antonio Spurs with the No. 12 overall choice in the 2021 NBA Draft, was released by the team due to repeated allegations that he exposed himself to women, sources informed ESPN on Saturday. Meanwhile, the abrupt and startling decision to dismiss Primo on Friday night indicated the seriousness of the problems involving the talented 19-year-old midfielder. However, as a statement of their faith in Primo’s future with the squad, the team had just exercised their $4.3 million 2023–2024 option on his contract.
Additionally, on Saturday, Tony Buzbee, an attorney, informed ESPN that he had been hired by a lady who worked for the Spurs and said Primo had exposed himself to her. In the sexual misconduct claims brought against quarterback Deshaun Watson of the Cleveland Browns, Buzbee represented several women. Meanwhile, according to sources, numerous NBA clubs are still interested in Primo’s skill and potential. Still, they seek a fuller grasp of the circumstances as they consider whether to submit a claim to sign him before he clears waivers and becomes a free agent on Monday afternoon.
What You Need to Sign Primo
To sign him, a team would need enough cap room or a traded player exemption to cover Primo’s $4.1 million salary for the current year. Additionally, it would be obligated to pay him the $4.3 million remaining on his 2023–2024 deal.
Meanwhile, in 54 games throughout his tenure with the Spurs, including 16 starts, Primo averaged 5.9 points. He participated in the Spurs’ first four games, coming off the bench to average 7.0 points. Primo was labelled as out for Friday’s home game against the Chicago Bulls and did not participate in Wednesday’s defeat on the road to the Minnesota Timberwolves before being released roughly an hour before tip-off.
According to a statement by ESPN on Friday night, Primo has accepted the need to continue “mental health therapy more thoroughly.”
“I know you all are surprised by today’s announcement,” Primo said. “I’ve been seeking help to deal with previous trauma I suffered and will now take this time to focus on my mental health treatment more fully. I hope to be able to discuss these issues in the future so I can help others who have suffered similarly. I appreciate privacy at this time.”
“It is our hope that, in the long run, this decision will serve the best interest of both the organization and Joshua,” Spurs CEO R.C. Buford said.